Journalist Eskinder Nga was jailed for 18 years, while opposition member Andualem Arage got life because of “the heaviness of the case” after he was convicted of participating with an outlawed group, Judge Hussein Yimer said.
Both men were found guilty of “participation in a terrorist organisation” and “planning…(a) terrorist act”. Andualem was also found guilty of serving as a “leader or decision maker of a terrorist organisation”. The life sentence was without the possibility of parole, the judge added.
Eskinder was convicted of working with the outlawed Ginbot 7 group, considered a terrorist group under Ethiopian law. “He (Eskinder) has been working with the Ginbot 7 organization…,” which had aggravated his sentence, the judge added.
“After taking into consideration how the criminal offence was committed, the court decided on 18 years imprisonment without parole.” Judges found the 24 defendants guilty of terrorism charges last month.
Although 16 of them were convicted in absentia, having fled into exile, both Eskinder and Andualem were in court on Friday to hear their sentence. Dressed in suits, they waved to family members as they filed into the court room, filled with friends and family of the activists, as well as journalists and diplomats.
Andualem, a member of the opposition party the Unity for Democracy and Justice (UDJ), smiled tightly and bowed his head when handed his sentence. Defence lawyer Abebe Guta said his clients had not received a fair trial.
“In my personal opinion, we rebutted the prosecution’s evidence beyond reasonable doubt, I think it’s been not reasonably considered,” he told reporters. Eskinder would appeal the sentence, he said, adding that Andualem and his other clients were also considering filing appeals, which they have 45 days to do.
- Ethiopia: Conviction of government opponents a ‘dark day’ for freedom of expression (ethioinfo.wordpress.com)
- Ethiopia’s Rulers Kangaroo Court Finds 24 guilty of Fabricated Charges of Terrorism (ethioandinet.wordpress.com)
- Ethiopia court finds 24 guilty of terrorism (ethiopiahot.wordpress.com)
- Ethiopia court finds 24 guilty of terrorism (ethiotribune.wordpress.com)
- Ethiopia: Terrorism, Journalism, and Human Rights (sahelblog.wordpress.com)
- Eskinder Nega, 5 exiled journalists convicted of terrorism (appablog.wordpress.com)
- Ethiopia: Terrorism Law Used to Crush Free Speech (hrw.org)
- numerology for Eskinder Nega (edpetersonnumerology.com)
- PEN American Center – Ethiopia: Eskinder Nega (faktensucher.wordpress.com)
- Ethiopia’s Rulers Kangaroo Court Finds 24 guilty of Fabricated Charges of Terrorism (yabedew.wordpress.com)